This was the first time I've ever cooked rhubarb. I planted one rhubarb in my garden last year and now I can finally enjoy some of it. It's great and it goes perfectly with strawberries. Tasty poetry in every bite, trust me.
Sweet and sour flavors mixed perfectly into a wonderful dessert, just in time to celebrate the beginning of summer.
If you're in a hurry, you can buy the dough from the supermarket, but if you wish to have a great pie, make yourself the dough from 400 grams of flour, 200 grams of butter, 1 tablespoon of sugar, 1 teaspoon of salt, and 8 tablespoons of iced water. Start by mixing the flour with butter at room temperature, sugar and salt, then gradually add the iced water to obtain a compact dough. Keep the dough in the fridge for one hour before using it.
I added some frozen blue berries on top, because I had them in the freezer, but they're not absolutely necessary.
Please, leave a hart and a comment if you like my recipe. And don't forget to share the recipe with your friends :)
PS: The nutrition facts correspond to one slice (about 120 grams).
- Pie dough - 600-700 grams (for a 24 cm pie plate)
- Strawberries - 400 grams
- Rhubarb - 200 grams
- Sugar - 3/4 cup
- Orange - 1
- Cornstarch - 3 tablespoons
- Blueberries - 50 grams
- 1Zest half of the orange, then squeeze it to obtain 3-4 tablespoons of orange juice.
- 2Cut the rhubarb stalks into small pieces - about 1 cm long.
- 3Clean and cut the strawberries into quarters.
- 4In a large bowl, mix the rhubarb with the strawberries. Add the sugar and the orange zest.
- 5In a small cup mix the cornstarch and the orange juice, then add them on top of the fruits. Keep the mix in the fridge until you make the pie crust.
- 6On a floured surface, roll the dough until it has the right dimensions to fit your pie plate. The dough should be about 4-5 mm of thickness. Move the dough gently in the plate and fold or cut edges. Make some small holes over its surface using a fork.
- 7Add the mix of rhubarb and strawberries, and some blueberries on top, if you have them, then cover with the remainings of the dough. Sprinkle some granulated sugar on top.
- 8Bake at 180°C (356°F) for at least 50-60 minutes.
- Total Fat17 g26%
- Sat. Fat8 g40%
- Cholesterol20 mg7%
- Sodium230 mg10%
- Carbs46 g15%
- Fiber2 g8%
- Sugars20 g22%
- Protein3 g6%