Plum cake is very popular in Italy, so it's easy to find various recipes to help you transform it from a delicious desert into a salty snack.
I made this tasteful appetizer with fresh zucchini and one or two Italian dried tomatos. It's perfect for a quick lunch in a hot summer day.
I added some capers to obtain a stronger flavor, but it works perfectly also without them.If you don't like mozzarella, replace it with another cheese that has a gentle taste, as a too strong cheese will cover the plum cake's original taste.
- Zucchini - 130 grams (2)
- Flour - 150 grams
- Eggs - 2
- Olive oil - 45 ml
- Milk - 70 ml
- Mozzarella - 70 grams
- Baking Powder - 10 grams
- Olives - 10
- Dried Tomatoes - 2
- Capers - 10
- 1Shred the zucchini, slice the olives and cut the cheese and the dried tomatoes into small cubes.
- 2Using a stand mixer or an electric whisk, beat the eggs using the low speed, to incorporate more air.
- 3Add the flour and the baking powder in small quantities, using a spatula. Incorporate the milk slowly and then fold in the shred zucchini and the rest of the ingredients. When mixing the composition, make gentle movements, going slowly from the bottom towards the top.
- 4Add the olive oil, mixing gently with the spatula.
- 5Transfer the composition into two greased loafs.
- 6Bake for 20-25 minutes at 180°C (356°F). You can test if the plum cake is done by inserting a skewer into the middle of it. If it comes out clean, it’s time to remove the zucchini plum cake from the oven.